HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Candace Ehringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2010 11:51:30 -0700
James Davidson has done extensive research on 19th-century coffin hardware.
Your type of thumbscrew likely post-dates 1875. Here are some additional
references for you:

Davidson, James Michael

1999    Freedman’s Cemetery (1869-1907): A Chronological Reconstruction of
an Excavated African-American Burial Ground, Dallas, Texas. Unpublished
Master’s Thesis on file at University of Arkansas.

2004    Mediating Race and Class through the Death Experience: Power
Relations and Resistance Strategies of an African-American Community,
Dallas, Texas (1869-1907). Unpublished PhD Dissertation on file at
University of Texas at Austin.

Two Historic Cemeteries in Crawford County, Arkansas. ROBERT C. MAINFORT,
JR. and JAMES M. DAVIDSON (eds.). Arkansas Archeological Survey, Research
Series No. 62, Fayetteville, 2006. viii 261 pp., figs., tables, appendices,
biblio. $30.00 (cloth), ISBN 1-56349-101-X.