HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Conrad Bladey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2010 08:10:42 -0400
Perhaps the distinction is between formal and informal structures of
artifact deposition.

There should be a list of terms at the formal end-

Dump, Landfill, junkyard

and another at the informal end

trash, garbage, mess. junk

This would also relate to near far peripheral adjacent oppositions.

Formal disposal would be chosen for objectionable items- rotting food,
large bones, large items that would get in the way

Then you have unintentional deposition- lost items tossed out silverware
in the compost (we seem to do this way more than one would think)
kitchen artifacts spread by the harrowing of fields etc.....

then you have usages that do not apply to disposal "trish trash" 17th
century English words for religious articles of Catholics.

the important thing is not the presence of "mess" but the variation of
the mess within a community.

Conrad