HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2010 14:08:55 -0400
I also tend to think of a midden as something that gradually accumulates as a result of disposal activities over time, while a dump may represent a discrete occurrence of disposal, often of just a few classes of artifacts (bottles, broken dishes). A dump may also be located at some distance from the place of residence, or deposited in a specific landform, such as a ravine, whereas I tend to think of a midden as something that would likely be found around a domestic structure, such as a kitchen. I also think that using a term that a historical occupant or producer of such a deposit would use might be a good approach to consider.

Andrew R. Sewell, MS, RPA
Principal Investigator
Hardlines Design Company
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Andy