HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:56:11 -0900
Not entirely related to your discussion here, but since you are wondering
about how the numbers were thieved, there was a recent case, about 2 weeks
ago, here in Anchorage, Alaska, where about 1000 credit card numbers were
stolen from a point of service device (you know, where you swipe the card
and put in your pin)..they got the card numbers and the pins. Someone
somehow hacked into the software, or did something to the hardware, so that
when the info was sent to Mastercard, Visa, etc, it was also sent to the
criminal; and the business owner had no idea this was occurring until credit
card companies caught on to fraudulent purchases and the breach was traced
back to the particlar point of service device. I have understood that one
way to combat such crime is to use credit instead of debit at
debitcard-ready devices.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but....

-Max