HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:37:00 EDT
Carl,

I commented earlier that local prehistoric pottery in the Peninsular
Mountains of California and Baja California contains varying quantities of mica.
Out in the desert, there is a variety of Tizon Brown Ware with silvery fine
mica  flecks. In the mountains, there is a type called Jacum Brown that is
liberally  laced with fine golden mica. Some people challenge the hypothesis
that the  potters added the mica and this has yet to be tested. Pottery
with greater  degrees of mica seem to be concentrated in some areas and less in
others, yet  both have the same source of natural residual clay. Native
American potters say  the mica helps control the heat and is better for cooking
higher temperatures  for longer periods of time.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 7/1/2009 7:05:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,