HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:59:41 -0700
Forgot to reroute my reply to Susan...rather than ALL.  You can't see
the photos I sent her....that help explain what my words weren't
adequately doing.

But, while I have your attention...in case you may be wondering about
the bowl mentioned to Susan...it is a 11 3/4" dia, 6" tall bail handle
stoneware "cooking pot" (casserole?)....glazed dark brown (nearly black)
on the interior; unglazed on the exterior...but it has a dimpled surface
with a heart design every quarter round.  On the base are concentric
raised bands...with impressed lettering (words) and dashes (--)...that,
unfortunately, we only have half of (where is the other half of the
bowl??!!).  The wording we have is (each row on separate band):

TRADE MARK
-- DEUTS   C[OMPANY]?
? [PR]OOF  (probably Oven)
-- ACID  ???

The Deuts ends with the "S", so don't think it was ever Deutsche (as
Google wants to replace for me when searching. !!).
Has anyone heard of this "brand"?  Or know the proper name for such a
vessel?
I figure the dimpling and raised bands are for heat dispersment. ??

Thanks for any help.

Carol