HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Catherine Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:56:14 -0700
Follow-up on the SHA Conference (Dynamite Job, Howard, David, Charlie, Terry, Sephanie, Paul, Greg, Phil, Harding, Karen, Carol, Jamie, Barbara and Patrick!!!)

I heard from one of the participants of the symposium on Gender in the Trans-Mississippi West that a question came up in the afternoon session about the definition of a household (referring back to my paper in the morning session). I apologize for not being around to answer the question.

I believe that a good definition of the household (or maybe several serviceable definitions) have been offered up in the following book edited by Kerri Barile and Jamie Brandon. I found a used copy at Amazon.com for $20.00; copies go for $40.00.

This is where I got some of my best ideas about households and the domestic sphere, and I highly recommend the book for everyone, not just those dealing with gender!

Cathy
      DATABASE: Library of Congress Online Catalog

      YOU SEARCHED: Author/Creator Browse = Barile, Keri
      SEARCH RESULTS: Displaying 1 of 1.

      LC Control No.: 2004001019
      Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
      Main Title: Household chores and household choices : theorizing the domestic sphere in historical archaeology / edited by Kerri S. Barile and Jamie C. Brandon.
      Published/Created: Tuscaloosa, Ala. : University of Alabama Press, c2004.
      ISBN: 0817313958 (cloth : alk. paper)
     0817350985 (pbk. : alk. paper)
      Links: Table of contents<http://www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip0413/2004001019.html>

Catherine H. Spude, PhD