HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 23:19:32 EDT
Telling stories about Indiana Jones is kind of like asking old geezers  where
they were when President Kennedy got shot. The summer Indiana Jones came
out, I directed a major excavation of a "lost" Spanish cannon battery on a U.S.
Navy Base and coordinated about 300 civilian and Navy volunteers in a very
exciting project to learn how the 1796 fort had been constructed. A group of
these very excited avocational and professional archaeologists met at the local
movie theater to go inside as a group and have the fun of seeing Indiana
Jones  together. I think there were about 20 people in the theater and we all had
ice  cream sundaes at a Denny's afterwards and had a blast. Not a one of them
in the  room thought for one minute that the movie would create treasure
hunters. We had  a wonderful time and returned to the dig with great vigor for the
rest of the  summer.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.