HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2009 22:18:42 -0400
From:
Tim Mancl <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
I'm not sure what you mean by details being passed over in
documentation. In Delaware, the type with a vaulted top appear very
similar in design and construction from the exterior. However, the
long answer is probably more complex. Since few have undergone
extensive or intensive investigation, only general statements can be
made. This is made even more difficult by the fact that the level of
investigation required for a particular burial location most often
involves determining presence or absence, followed by avoidance in
the case of the former, resulting in limited documentation.
Nonetheless, saying that Delaware is lousy with single-internment
brick burial vaults is simply to say that there are many present. The
statement in no way implies that they are all the same in detail.

And Tim, to clarify my first post, the vaults I refer to are single-
internment. Some could contain more than one person, I assume,
however, both size and investigated examples suggest strongly that
all of the type I refer to are single-internment. As for my reference
to "various forms," I slipped away from strictly brick vaults to
brick-lined shafts.

Tim