From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 20:48:28 -0700

> substances that beekeepers are willing to put in the hives has increased
> dramatically...which coincides with the decline in number of bees and
> beekeepers in this country

The decline in number of colonies is not surprising, due to varroa's habit
of killing them.

> given the importance of microorganisms in the hive, we are questioning if
this increase in "treatments" has affected the microorganisms in the hive,
and what the effect on the bees might be.

Then you are in good company!  Hundreds of researchers, and thousands of
beekeepers have been asking the same question.

Dean, I am not an apologist for chemical treatments.  It is hard to imagine
any chemical, natural or otherwise, not having some sort of side effects.
Many have looked, or are looking into these effects.  Most beekeepers would
give up all chemical treatments in an eyeblink if they thought that their
bees would thrive without.

The strongest argument in favor of any method of beekeeping (organic
included) is to demonstrate success.  Quit your day job, and depend upon
your bees to pay the mortgage and put food on the table.  Do so successfully
for several years (as Dee has), and others will copy.  However, don't expect
that your methods will have the same results in all areas.

Randy Oliver