From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 19:28:20 -0400
deknow wrote:
> our thesis is that since the introduction of varroa, the number of substances that beekeepers are willing to put in the hives has increased dramatically...

This thesis is supported by neither any data nor a close reading of
history. The use of disinfectants to combat disease in the silkworm is
fairly old:

> In 1835, an Italian lawyer, who had interested himself in biology, had discovered that a fungus caused the silkworm disease of muscardine. He was the first investigator to identify a well known animal disease with an identified micro-organism. He also interested himself in antiseptics and disinfectants and investigated acids, alkalies, chlorine, sulphur, alcohol, the products available to him at that time. In 1881 Koch examined 70 compounds for their antibacterial activity. He declared that mercuric chloride was the best of them. Indeed, it was the only substance that killed bacterial spores.

In the 1903 ABC XYZ of Bee Culture,  Root talks about using
disinfectants against foul brood. He states that:

> Carbolic acid, phenol, thymol, salicylic acid, naphthol beta, perchloride of mercury as well as many other substances have been tried. ... There are certain substances which evaporate at the ordinary temperatures of the hive, and whose vapors, while not actually killing the bacilli, arrest their increase or growth. Among such substances are carbolic acid, phenyl, lysol, eucalyptus, camphor, napthalene among others.

The use of carbolic acid on bees, which continues to this day, has its
roots at the dawn of modern disease treatment:

--
Peter L Borst
Danby, NY USA