From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 13:32:40 -0400
Hello Jerry ,Paul & All,
While Jerry tries to determine which of the chemicals is the cause of CCD.
or which combination of 1,2 or say 3 many of us have moved on to simply
realizing old comb is a problem and replacing.

I pushed hard on BEE-L for U.S. beekeepers to replace comb and then they
would see the success I was getting. Took four years to replace my comb.

However despite the findings of Jerry there are still plenty of bees being
kept on comb like Jerry describes and many of those guys have got the best
bees ever this year. Two years ago I would have bet money contaminated
comb was behind industry problems. Sure bees do better on noncontaminated
comb but it seems now that N. ceranae, virus and getting a low varroa
control still are the main issues.

I have taken quite a bit of kidding over my advice for guys with a huge
number of hives to replace all their comb. Those guys delite in showing me
how well their bees are doing.

Despite the 37% hive loss statistic for last year. Most of us are fighting
the same old issues. varroa, nosema and queen supercedure. Over the last
five years I have not spoke with a commercial beekeeper which has not seen
some of the documented CCD symptoms in his bees.

I have seen nosema ceranae move through a yard effecting all hives. Thanks
to Eric mussen I have found you can turn those hives around. I personally
doubt I will ever have a problem with nosema ceranae again. I also think
if researchers had gave us a warning when they discovered the new nosema
many hives could have been saved but trying to find out who knew what and
when will not help.

The new problem is *virus issues in bees with low varroa load*. So far
depopulating susceptable hives seem to be the only answer. Remove those
genetics.

back to the bee yards! Break over!

bob