From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2008 10:35:48 -0400
Waldemar said:

> I also hope the farm bill gets vetoed down.

There are a whole bunch of Food Stamp recipients
who would disagree with you on that point.

> There should be a separate, stand-alone bill
> for honey bee research if Congress folks are
> serious in their concern for honey bees.

There is!  Or "was", as the bill has gone nowhere.

HR 1709 is the House bill and S.1694 is a Senate
bill that was claimed to be the "companion" to
HR 1709, but was manipulated to add the requirement
to fund "native pollinator" research, rather than
focusing on the simple problem at hand of CCD and
its impact on agriculture.

Not surprisingly, a lack of two MATCHING bills
made everyone lose interest in the entire issue,
as it would have required work to come up with
a compromise.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1709
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-1694

The recent discussion (Apr 20) of the SF Chronicle
article addressed this issue:

http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0804C&L=BEE-L&P=R2306&D
=0&I=-3&T=0

But the sordid history of HR 1709 can be best learned
by simply typing "HR 1709" into the Bee-L search facility:
http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l&D=0&T=0

Despite the lousy spring weather (cold, damp, cloudy) I had a surprise
swarm out of one of the Bronx Zoo hives on May 1, 2008.  My bad, I let
the bees get ahead of me.  The weather made a tear-down of the sort
that would reveal .  Temps in the 40s and low 50s.  All I could do was
look quickly at bottom bars.

The good news is that the same lousy rainy weather that made a
decent search for queen cells a move that would have chilled the
entire broodnest is keeping the swarm in the nuc into which it was
dumped.