HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:42:05 -0500
Joe,

Well said.

L.Derry

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joe Dent
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 9:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: War (1861-1865)

List - In my opinion, this is just a great example of how the writers and poets often get to significant meaning long before most of the rest of us. We need more of this and less "fact" in regard to the details that will always be in dispute based on perspective, heritage and a hundred other biases. Well said Linda! I'm going to Amazon now.

Joe Dent
American University

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda Derry" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 9:53:19 AM

Histarchers,

As long as we are on the Civil War topic,  I wanted to mention a nifty
tie-in with historic site interpretation and preservation.  I am the
director of an archaeological park, which includes the ruins of a prison
that was used to house captured union soldiers.  Most of the soldiers that
died aboard the Sultana (said to be the large maritime disaster in U.S.
History) were prisoners released from Cahawba who were returning home to
their loved ones after surviving the war and this P.O.W. camp.

Last weekend, I had David Rothstein, the author of a new novel called
Casualties: a Novel of the Civil War do readings from his novel to an
audience while all sat within the ruins of the walls of that prison. It was
very emotional and I believe created emotional ties between the participants
and our archaeological site that are already paying off, as people speak out
about budget cutbacks after our governor declared historic and
archaeological sites "non-essential."

The book is not about the glory of battle but about how everyone
(Confederate, Union, solider, homefront, black and white) were devastated by
that war.  For the most part, the setting for the novel is in the prison,
that was converted from a cotton warehouse and whose remains are now part of
our archaeological site.  Here is what the author said in his afterword:

"if you go to Cahawba today and sit quietly under the live oak trees, you
will feel the spirits of the people who lived and suffered and died there.
If you stand in the center of the space that was the warehouse, you can
trace the remains of its brick foundation where they once were kept, and
they will speak to you.  It feels as if Cahawba is still holding its
breath."

You can't even buy a better advocacy piece than that!

In fact, I'm finding that our archaeological site is increasingly becoming
the muse for novelists, poets and song writers.  I think this is an
underappreciated avenue to constituency building, and it might be a very
effective one since it does touch the heart and play to the emotions.

If anyone is interested, here's a link to reviews of the novel on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Casualties-Novel-Civil-War-ebook/dp/B004DNWJFO

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba