HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lockhart, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:45:58 -0700
Hi HISTARCHers,

Here is an update for those interested in the latest bottle information.

My two smaller e-books (Alamogordo, NM, soda industry and Otero
County. NM, dairies) are back, this time on the SHA webpage, where,
hopefully, they will stay.  They can be accessed through Bill Lindsey's
Historical Bottle Webpage:

http://www.sha.org/bottle/References.htm#Reference%20Books

The revised Chapter 5a of my El Paso soda industry e-book is linked to the
same location.  This contains a great deal of new information and photos
about the Houck & Dieter liquor and soda bottling works as well as some of
the national and international brands they used.  The section on Apollinaris
Water has quadrupled in size, and the others have also gained in girth.  The
link above takes you to all three books.

At the same web address (scroll down a bit) are most of the articles
published by the Bottle Research Group.  Eventually, we will add others.  Our
latest three, published in Bottles and Extras magazine, are on the Southern
Glass Co., Vernon (LA), California; the Owens Bottle Co. and its affiliated
companies; the General Glass Corp.  All of these, of course, have major
bottle, marks, and date code sections.  The General Glass article also
contains a great deal of information about basemarks and code on liquor
bottles.

Don't forget to keep me in mind when you publish reports with sections on
bottles.

Bill

Bill Lockhart
Professor of Sociology