HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Boyer, Jeffrey, DCA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:36:37 -0600
Lyle,
For the life of me I cannot remember an appropriate reference, but I definitely remember reading that Southwest Native groups, particularly the Navajo, were targeted for "sale" (i.e., mostly through trade) of "not of the latest fashion" Euroamerican ceramics in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It is certainly true that Euroamerican ceramic artifacts out on the Big Rez routinely date older than associated glass, metal, and other items. Perhaps my colleagues can help us with references -- I haven't worked on sites from out there in decades.
I do know that we have found that Euroamerican ceramics from 19th- and early 20th-century sites in the Northern Rio Grande are sometimes mismatched; excavations at one site with which I am very familiar revealed that none of the plates or saucers matched each other, nor did they match any of the cups. This suggested that the site occupants acquired their Euroamerican items on a piece-by-piece basis rather than as sets or even as place settings. There are also interesting patterns of interacting use of Native and Euroamerican vessels in the Northern Rio Grande. I refer you specifically to Chapters 14 and 18 in:

Moore, James L., Jeffrey L. Boyer, and Daisy F. Levine
2004  Adaptations on the Anasazi and Spanish Frontiers: Excavations at Five Sites near Abiquiu, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico. Archaeology Notes 187. Office of Archaeological Studies, Museum of New Mexico, Santa Fe.

The report can be obtained by contacting [log in to unmask]

Jeff

Jeffrey L. Boyer, RPA
Project Director
Office of Archaeological Studies, Museum of New Mexico
mail: P.O. Box 2087, Santa Fe, New Mexico  87504
physical: 407 Galisteo Street, Suite B-100, Santa Fe, New Mexico  87501
tel: 505.827.6387          fax: 505.827.3904
e-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --Ellen Parr