HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:36:37 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (63 lines)
Lyle,
For the life of me I cannot remember an appropriate reference, but I definitely remember reading that Southwest Native groups, particularly the Navajo, were targeted for "sale" (i.e., mostly through trade) of "not of the latest fashion" Euroamerican ceramics in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It is certainly true that Euroamerican ceramic artifacts out on the Big Rez routinely date older than associated glass, metal, and other items. Perhaps my colleagues can help us with references -- I haven't worked on sites from out there in decades.
I do know that we have found that Euroamerican ceramics from 19th- and early 20th-century sites in the Northern Rio Grande are sometimes mismatched; excavations at one site with which I am very familiar revealed that none of the plates or saucers matched each other, nor did they match any of the cups. This suggested that the site occupants acquired their Euroamerican items on a piece-by-piece basis rather than as sets or even as place settings. There are also interesting patterns of interacting use of Native and Euroamerican vessels in the Northern Rio Grande. I refer you specifically to Chapters 14 and 18 in:

Moore, James L., Jeffrey L. Boyer, and Daisy F. Levine
2004  Adaptations on the Anasazi and Spanish Frontiers: Excavations at Five Sites near Abiquiu, Rio Arriba County, New Mexico. Archaeology Notes 187. Office of Archaeological Studies, Museum of New Mexico, Santa Fe.

The report can be obtained by contacting [log in to unmask]

Jeff

Jeffrey L. Boyer, RPA
Project Director
Office of Archaeological Studies, Museum of New Mexico
mail: P.O. Box 2087, Santa Fe, New Mexico  87504
physical: 407 Galisteo Street, Suite B-100, Santa Fe, New Mexico  87501
tel: 505.827.6387          fax: 505.827.3904
e-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> 
The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --Ellen Parr

From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY on behalf of Lyle E. Browning
Sent: Mon 10/19/2009 5:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Second-Hand Shops in the 18th & 19th Centuries

On our site today, discussions got around to pottery distribution in 
the 18th & 19th century and secondary markets. The phenomenon of hand-
me-downs from plantation owner to overseer to slave is documented. But 
in an urban environment, was there a mechanism for distribution of 
wares "not of the latest fashion" to secondary markets and/or 
distributees in any formal manner or was it an ad hoc arrangement. 
And, has anyone looked at the archaeological record to show same, if 
it exists? Did what we now call second-hand shops exist except as 20th 
century inventions? How common were the Dickensian Old Curiosity Shops 
as mechanisms for redistribution of goods for the middle/lower classes 
outside major metro areas?

Thanks in advance,

Lyle Browning, RPA

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message. -- This email has been scanned by the Sybari - Antigen Email System. 

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail,including all attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review,use,disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message. 

This email has been scanned using Webroot Email Security.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2