HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:03:30 -0700
For some of the reaction to the NY Times I read over at the New York
Archaeological Council's listing for PANYC the letter by Joan H. Geismar, Ph.D.
President, Professional Archaeologist of New York City (PANYC). I would like to
offer a few experiences.

On one site, which recently was sold as the most expensive real estate in
Manhattan, the former federal US "Assay Site" we had an electronic transit
or "total station" stolen while guards were on duty, both apparently submitted
and passed lie detector tests. On the outside of those cases is the warning
that all "Laser thefts are investigated by the FBI" and I must say using it and
its replacement I was never questioned by them, nor anyone else.

On another site I recall a taunting picture with the heads cut out of the
Polaroid, sent reportedly to the NYC Landmarks Commission by a group
of "bottle hunters". It prompted the further excavation there on site one early
winter in Brooklyn near Fort Greene where the "Prison Ship Martyrs Monument"
is with some of the remains of the over 14,000 who reportedly perished during
the American Revolution under what I theorize, due to recent formal British
forensic evidence, may have been a plot to poison the king by Admiral
Cornwallis, based on the amount of arsenic in his wig and proximal location. He
who also ran the occupation of New York city and his brother General
Cornwallis were defeated after the long march by combined French troops
marching from Rhode Island and meeting up with Washington's troops on the
Hudson River, where the "divide and conquer" was to take place, separating
the northern and southern colonies by the river and the chain of forts into
Canada. Convinced by the facts of French naval support to have success
there instead of New York city, indeed the world was turned upside down.

But I digress. On this site was also a sort of "squatters house" and also it was
reported a young minority individual was arrested and taken into custody for
being nosy about the site, surrounded as they are in NYC by thousands of
people, some not too happy on the deals perhaps made with the Planning
Commission or the various "uncollected" agencies, i.e., no one "Building
Department" that have various roles to play in development sometimes out-of-
sync with each other and perhaps argue with the community, which of course
is no reason to gut features in a site. However, I also wonder if vigilante
protection might also get out of hand and not particularly happy to have
armed guards over it or reports of the curious incarcerated over it.

Machinery is often available, also sometimes vandalized, but however, perhaps
large steel plates over a feature or two would discourage looting and provide a
safety factor for the public. But as we know these jobs often have gone to
the "lowest bidder" either by fact or design.