HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Parkhill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:14:26 -0500
Folks, I find the discussion concerning the New York Times
interesting.  must admit that I have mixed feelings concerning your
comments. I guess you might call me an Amateur or Avocational
Archaeologist at least I call myself an Avocational.

The challenge I find is that there are problems with both
definitions. I know some folks that are amateurs that would put to
shame many Professionals. Yes, I know some Professionals (if you
wish) that are outstanding intelligent individuals as well as some
high degreed blooming idiots.

I have a teaching degree, BS Ed, and have spent many hours preparing
myself to follow the guidelines and documentation  of all the
Archaeology research that I have performed personally. My work
several times has been looked upon as, even by the Historical
Commission, not professional due to the fact I do not  have a MS or
MA Degree. I say this because I am not allowed to do my research on
State or Public Lands. All my work is done on private lands. I really
don't care but I feel put upon and held back when some of my work has
been stated to be very acceptable and used by CRM companies. Why
don't we just quit arguing and strutting around like  fighting cocks
over a insignificant horizon.

Talking about lowering the educational level of our children please
allow me to point out from experience, that the dumbing down of
schools has been a dedicated and concentrated effort by certain
people in our society  to, shall we say level the field.
Unfortunately science has proven that the level of a substance cannot
be raised by lowering the level of the whole. I have a granddaughter
being left behind because the professionals do not have time to help
her. They also teach to the TAKS  test not to teach the children but
to justify their jobs. Bullying the Public Schools in running rampant
yet the Professionals always are looking the other way. Totally
opposite from my days as a teacher.

  If I offended anyone then I hope you will become more dedicated to
the education of our youth and society than ever before.

Just an observation from an old and tired warrior.