HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jason Schmerer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:46:57 -0400
To all,

Thank you for all of your responses and keep them coming I am still
extremely interested in finding more information about the WPA artifacts.

I feel it was a time that should be looked at and more closely looked at
because after all it seems like we are living through yesteryear today in a
way with the recession we are in.  If all these artifacts and hopefully
documents are just sitting in boxes, that maybe too harsh a thing to say I
am sorry, in museums and need to be analyzed should it not be the students,
and other interested, now to look at these and see what we already have.  It
is publish or perish I have head in academia but this goes beyond academics
and preserving a cultures that have long past or are in need of help.  Who
nows, not to start anything, but maybe some of those artifacts could help a
Native American tribe today become recognized by the Federal Government.  I
do not know if that is true or not.  My parents have taught me not to waste
things we already have and I feel these artifacts are not getting there just
due by sitting in boxes.  Should it not be the younger generations, and all
that are interested in archaeology to look at these artifacts and documents
and help to do what we all want to do and that is to preserve the past for
the future.  I do not know the history and I am learning that now by all of
your responses to my inquiry about the WPA era archaeology and it is
absolutely fascinating to see what some have done in Somerset County, PA for
instance and other areas.

Maybe there does need to be a Section 110 NHPA re-survey of these areas to
see what we, meaning all of us, have and to see what can be done.  This is a
huge effort to undertake and multiple lifetimes of work but it needs to be
done.  I would love to start this process but I am only a BA in Anthropology
and if I am right you, meaning me or anybody, needs a MA or even a PhD to do
anything in archaeology anymore.

Maybe this email was stupid to write but I feel I needed to say this.

Keep the respondses coming though I want to learn more and ask questions to
some people.

Jason Schmerer