HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2009 21:50:47 +0000
No doubt some will be recovered but many documents are very fragile e.g
on medieval parchment or old fragile paper and won't survive violent
compression. They may also have been damaged by water as it will have
taken awhile to cut off the building's water supply- plus a a major
problem with dust. I also imagine much clearance will need heavy
machiney to shift reinforced steel girders etc.I remember using 19th
century tithe maps in Uk national Archives Kew in the 1980s and needing
a a pan and bush to clear up the fragments. They are now digitised
thankfully. Lets just hope much is recoverable and there is no heavy
rainfall in the next few days. Conservation of what is recovered will
probably take decades and many millions of euros.

paul