Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:54:23 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
I'm not sure if you are looking for an easy way to put something together or something already published?  

If the former, I put together a table of ceramic types found at the site I'm working on to help students who were working with me catalog artifacts.  Basically, I put together a table in MS Word that organized the principle/important defining characteristics and then as I catalogued, I would add each "new" type i came across.  It only took me a couple days/contexts to get almost everything put together, and it fits on 7 legal sized pieces of paper.  My students found it easy to work with, highly portable, etc.  This, of course, ends up having to be a work in progress, but necessitates little work.  once you get it started, students can just put aside anything that isn't on the list, and you can pass over the artifacts and add the necessary info....

If you would like a copy of the spreadsheet, i'd be happy to send it, though i don't know how much use 19th century Central Mexican ceramics are (at least it would be an example of one way to organize....).

Best,
E.   

Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:32:59 AM
Subject: Pottery Characteristics

Friends, Roamins and Country persons I  come before you with a challenge!!!

In an effort to become more knowledgeable (doing it the easy way) My ship hath run aground.

I am trying to develop a SHORT hand held reference for pottery, ceramics identification. Something that says , "You have Pearlware!". I have much o files on what, how etc. but nothing to tell a newby, "What is that piece?"
Earthenware, pearlware, pottery etc. I do have a neat booklet (pocket size)  "Baylors' Pocketbook Guide to Antique Porcelain & Pottery",by Nancy and Jack Baylor, Baylor, Inc., 720 West 7th Street, Tulsa, Ok 74127 as well as their "Pocketbook to Antique Glass".

As the old "Dragnet" detective says, "I want just the Facts, just the facts!" All help will sincerely be appreciated

ATOM RSS1 RSS2