HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 21:56:30 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Avery, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>

>>  The punctures are near the head of the case.  Especially on the longs, I
>> don't think they would help a person get the slug out.

Yep, if they were toward the head, then the punctures weren't for slug
removal ... gotta be some other cause ..

>>  I can see someone sitting on this porch and finding a convenient gap in
>> the boards to hold the things still while they punched the holes.  I'm
>> leaning toward pure, old-fashioned boredom!

I'm not saying this is it ... but Tim's comments about tinklers and chimes
reminded of other ways I've seen spent shell casing used.

I've seen 45-cal center-fire casings made into set-line weights. Punch out
the primer with an icepick (one with the tip broken-off worked perfectly),
push a twisted loop of baling wire into the primer hole, and pour'em full of
molten lead. I've seen .22-cal casings made into fishing gigs ... using a
knife tip to punch a slit atop the head big enough to allow passage of the
eyelet of a fishhook ... insert hook and then pour'em full of molten lead
... shine the brass up nice with a handful of fine sand before use.

A variation I've seen was filling the shell casing void with blood bait,
letting it harden-up real good, then flattening the shell casing with a
hammer. A big flexible ribbon of blood-bait would squirt/hang out the back
of the gig and slowly dissolve. Shine the sides up 'real purty' before use.
These worked a charm on goggle-eyes.

>> So how many do you think I need to make those wind chime?!  Valentine's
>> Day is Saturday you know!

I'm guessing one made outta a couple bricks worth oughta impress just about
any lady (and it oughtn't be too loud ... sorta like a romantic musicbox at
a great distance) *grin*