HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Parkhill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2009 13:27:08 -0600
Ron, et al:
I see dumping of materials all the time and as you say most
excavators are actually looking for the "Goodies." This is
unfortunate! In fact this actually is  more of an example of non -
professionalism, in my humble opinion, of the excavator. I have gone
back to "fill" that has been dumped and found some interesting data.
True, in the interest of a time line for excavating a site speed is
the norm. By accelerating the speed in excavating there is a danger
of missing small objects and destroying the provenience which is very
important especially when trying to reconstruct the site on paper. It
has been my experience that, "If time runs out we can go back" to
continue the dig at a later date. Of course I do no CRM for pay and
what I do has been there for years and will probably stay there for
years to come. I have also been known to shore up the sides of a
cistern, dump or outhouse as we lower our levels tagging the profiles
as we go. Yep, it takes a while longer but I sure hate to miss
something important.