HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:12:06 EDT
Bob,

I am reminded that Portuguese sailors hired onto ships in Azores often were
recorded with an English sounding name or the name of the ship's captain to
dodge some American maritime laws. A local Portuguese fisherman informed me
that  some Portuguese whalers kept the new names when they stayed here in the
U.S.,  such as Black or Miller (from ship captains). Of course, when researching
I  found names like Comacho and could not tell Portuguese from Spanish or even
 Native American. The latter were hired onto whaling ships in the mid 19th
century with the belief they could throw a harpoon more accurately.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 10/22/2008 6:28:15 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,