HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gwyn Alcock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:53:04 -0700
I believe Michael Quinion, a contributor to the OED, addresses that erroneous etymology in his book "Port Out, Starboard Home*".

He discusses the origins of the word on his Web site, www.worldwidewords.org:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-fuc1.htm

Quinion wrote about that entry:  *"[This article is one of those in my book on folk etymology, Port Out, Starboard Home (available in the USA under the title Ballyhoo, Buckaroo, and Spuds).]"

And let's not start the "whole nine yards" discussion again, until everybody's read his summary of the research into THAT phrase.

Gwyn Alcock
(Having an incipient Grumpy Old Fart day.)
Riverside, Calif.