HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Clevenger, Liz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:04:21 -0700
Dear All -

Join us at the Presidio of San Francisco throughout October for a series
of events celebrating California Archaeology Month. Please feel free to
pass this information along to family, friends, and colleagues!

Presidio Archaeology Lab

www.presidio.gov/history/archaeology

(415) 561-ARCH

. . .

October is Archaeology Month in California, when we explore our heritage
and the methods used to investigate it. The Presidio is hosting a
contemporary film series featuring movies, shorts, and documentaries
contrasting distinct perspectives on the past. Screenings will be
followed by panel discussions with archaeologists and filmmakers. The
month will be capped with an author event featuring an archaeologist who
has conducted research in the Presidio.

All events begin at the Presidio Officers' Club, 50 Moraga Avenue, at
7pm

www.presidio.gov/calendar/arch.htm

415.561.ARCH or 415.561.5500

. . .

Thursday, October 9

The New World

A local treasure and a national jewel, some are beginning to call the
Presidio the Jamestown of the West. Founded in 1776, the Presidio is the
birthplace of San Francisco. The story of the American West can be found
both buried and built within the park. As the Presidio continues to
attract more visitors, how will it present the multi-layered and
multi-vocal history of this place? Juxtaposing excerpts from New Line
Cinema's The New World with segments from the National Geographic
Explorer episode The New World: Nightmare in Jamestown, a panel of
distinguished archaeologists will examine how both of these films
portray Jamestown as the birthplace of America and manipulate the past
to meet the needs of their narrative. We invite you to join us for an
entertaining and enlightening discussion about colonialism, mystery,
nationalism, romance, and archaeology.

Panelists:

Douglass Bailey, Professor, San Francisco State University

Eric Blind, Senior Archaeologist, Presidio Trust

Ruth Tringham, Professor, University of California, Berkeley

. . .

Thursday, October 16

Archaeology Indies

Curious to learn more about local archaeology and archaeologists? This
evening will feature a line-up of short films by Bay Area archaeology
students and professionals who have conducted research at sites
throughout California and the world. Filmmakers will discuss their
projects and the challenges of presenting an unfiltered view of the
past. We invite you to join us for an evening of discovery.

Films and Panelists:

Pathways to Archaeology - Rob Edwards, Cabrillo College

Privy to the Past - Sonoma State University Anthropological Studies
Center & California Dept. of Transportation

Skeuomorphs - Colleen Morgan, University of California, Berkeley

Finding a Voice - Eric Blind, Presidio Trust

Remember Me, but Ah! Forget My Fate - Ruth Tringham, University of
California, Berkeley

. . .

Thursday, October 23

A Conversation with Stanford Archaeologist Dr. Barb Voss

The author of Archaeology of Ethnogenesis: Race and Sexuality in
Colonial San Francisco will discuss her book on the genesis of the
Californios, a community of military settlers who forged a new identity
on the northwest edge of Spanish North America. Discussion followed by
book signing.