HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:42:50 +0100
I think the Rijksmuseum will be partially open at weekends (major
restoration)- but probably very very crowded, note items from there on
display in Schipol airport if you are there. Otherwise city and ship
museums are worth seeing archaeologically. Canal trip a must for seeing
architecture. If you have time try seeing sephardic Jewish cemetery 5
miles south of city at Oudekirk - I have only seen it on film but on my
list of places to visit before I die. Also classic Dutch water-fortified
town at Naarden - a short train ride from Amsterdam add 30 mins walk
from station (I would check website first for museum opening hours).
Indonesian rijstafel ans street stall fritten (frites) and mayonnaise a
must re tourism.  Also avoid tripping over my fellow drunken/stoned
Brits late at night.

paul.