HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Mohler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2008 16:15:40 -0400
Fellow HistArch'ers,I am looking for comparisons for terra cotta tile culverts, which apparently are quite rare/unique in North Carolina, having been replaced over time by the standard and less attractive corrugated pipe or concrete box culvert.  Dating to the late 19th/early 20th c., the culvert consists of a tile archway sitting on top of stone masonry, and measures roughly 5' high by 3.5' wide.  All of the tiles from this particular culvert are stamped "POMONA 48."  We have located two similar culverts with tiles stamped "POMONA 48," "POMONA 60," and "POMONA AJAX 48."  All of the tiles are terra cotta and hollow (either 2 chambers/cavities or 4 chambers/cavities for structural purposes).Unfortunately, one of our projects requires this tile culvert to be removed and replaced by the aforementioned box culvert.  Questions abound: 1) Who, what, and where was the Pomona Tile Company, 2) What do the stamps designate [possibly year, but more likely lot no.], 3) Are these solely a North Carolina phenomenon or are they more regional, and most importantly 4) What method(s) of mitigation would be most appropriate during its removal.  As for the mitigation part, we are approaching it from a HABS/HAER recordation perspective (i.e. plenty of photography, detailed drawings, and samples taken).  If anyone has any suggestions or additional information, feel free to contact me on- or off-list.  If anyone would like additional information, feel free to ask. Thanks,Paul J. Mohler, Archaeologist IINCDOT Human Environment Unit1583 MSCRaleigh, NC  27699-1583(919) [log in to unmask] p.s. for those of you have included me in your address books, please take note that my DOT email address has recently changed domain names