From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 16:10:18 -0400
Don Satz asks:

>Is Mehta better live than in the studio? I haven't a clue.

Mehta directs/conducts two of the finest operas in Europe, Vienna and
Munich.  He is outstanding, just on the strength of that, but he wouldn't
be in those two very high houses unless he brought to the task the
requisite elevated quality.  And I do think opera is best when experienced
live because it is a spectacle accompanied by music.When ait comes to the
vicarious experiencing of opera, videos are better than recordings, of
course, but only the real thing's the real thing (IMO).

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]