From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 16:12:50 PST
Ron Chaplin wrote:

>Which magazine/periodicals do you read?  And is there a guide along
>the lines of the Penguin that can be relied upon?

I don't believe that there can exist any "guide" that would be reliable
to a particular individual.  Variety of sources is the best way to go.
I read Gramophone, Fanfare, American Record Guide, and Classical CD
regularly.  Some folks like BBC Classical very much.  Fanfare and ARG
have the most reviews if that's your priority.

Recommendations from list members are an excellent source; I know mine are.
It doesn't take long to know which members to closely pay attention to -
given your individual taste.  It's helped me much.  There are three list
members whose recommendations I consider "gold", and a few who are not on
my wavelength.

Back to those guides.  I think there is or was one called something like
the "Stevenson Guide", but I know little about it.

"Donald Satz" <[log in to unmask]>