From:
Glenn Civello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:25:39 -0500
Don Satz wrote:

>..... Forget Schubert and Schumann; I can't think of any reason to make
>these kinds of comparisons.  Every young generation wants and makes sure
>that it has its OWN music...

Thanks Don, we needed that!  I completely, agree.  I remember the
sixties and seventies and was strongly influenced by my peers and what
was happening in my life.  With hormones raging, I wanted to dance with
pretty ladies and listen to lyrics that connected to where I was "coming
from" at that point in time.  And this, in spite of the fact that I was a
music major studying classical violin.  I had a special place for classical
music that most of my peers knew nothing about.  Meantime, I was "kicken my
heals" with the rest of my generation and loven every minute of it.  At 52
I'm not such and old foggy that I can't, somehow, relate to what young
people must be going through today.  While I haven't a clue as to why they
enjoy listening to rap, I keep remembering how my parents were clueless
when it came to the music of Dylan, Hendrix and the Stones.  It keeps me
humble.  Meanwhile..., Berwald anyone? As I peruse through your messages,
I'm listening to his symphonies, nos.  1-4 on Arte Nova.  A real bargain
IMO.

GCC