From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:36:11 +0000
I'd  like to give some publicity to this concert:

Royal Festival Hall, London
City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra / Simon Rattle
Vadim Repin (vln)

Kurtag: Grabstein fur Stephan
Gubaidulina: Offertorium
Birtwistle: Earth Dances

For me, that comes into the "unmissable" category - thanks to Jonathan
Ellis' advocacy and "The Mask of Orpheus" I now feel much more capable
of coping with Birtwistle than I used to be, and I've never heard Earth
Dances live.  I don't know the Kurtag piece but what I do know of him is
stimulating - does anyone know this piece? Gubaidulina is rapidly climbing
up my list of twentieth-century "greats" and I've been wanting to get to
a live performance of this concerto for a couple of years.  And finally -
perhaps strangely for a Brit - I've never heard Rattle or the CBSO live,
either together or apart.

So I'll definitely be there.  Anyone else like to meet up for a drink &
chat before, during and / or after?

Ian Crisp