From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:41:42 -0700
HI Peter,

>The feral population is genetically distinct from the closed population,
but not from the genetic stock maintained by beekeepers outside of the
program.

I am recently returned from Western Australia, and am surprised by the above
finding!
I'm not sure which beekeeper stock was tested, but from my observations, it
was easy to immediately tell the difference between the mangaged bees and
the ferals.  I'm sure that Peter Detchon will support this.

The managed bees were quite yellow (this is a major characteristic that they
breed for), gentle, and calm on the combs.  The ferals were darker, banded,
bees which were much more defensive and active on the combs.

Some beekeepers in the area apparently run feral stock--Peter Detchon would
be able to answer this.

I don't have a reference, but was told several times that the ferals in
Australia have considerable A.m.m. genetics.  This was a bit surprising to
me, since the climate would appear to favor A.m. ligustica (Italians), or
especially A.m. scutellata (the African savannah bee).

Randy Oliver