From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:13:04 -0700
> "With handling as rough as that I am not surprised!  Is
> this normal in the
> US?"
>
> As if there were some peculiarly American way of handling
> bees?  Come on!
>
> Steve Noble

I need to add in here to what Steve has said. You hear of constant reports of beekeepers taking 30-40-50% makeups of hives each year. You see or hear of beekeepers with staging yards or holding yards with swarms hanging in trees all over the place, where they have just worked the bees, made up numbers, and they are disoriented and hanging in clumps all around and flying...........Now were these stong hives worked or weak nucs worked to do so? For healthy bees fly and sick bees just mop along and you pray they make it!

Also, You telling me that isn't rougher on bees or same in a way, then what I simply did, by taking full boxes of brood, bees, and stores and simply walking to another part of same yard and setting down to make up simple walk away splits/divides, with field bees in same then to fly home and re-setup and regroup? For if you are commercial you know what I am talking about.......if you are not commercial, or work with what I call tonka toys or 1 box deep full nucs, than how is that actual commercial beekeeping, except in small numbers counting, for it certainly isn't going for honey the old way. Also maybe perhaps why so much honey is now imported instead of done here in USA.
D-

Be a better friend, newshound, and