From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 06:20:59 -0700
> So, if I understand you correctly, the mites and sugar are left on the
> ground.  How do you know what happens to those mites when bees show up
> later  to harvest the sugar?

Good question, Peter!

Hasn't appeared to be a problem.
I've never seen bees go for the sugar on the ground--perhaps because
I'm in a dry area.
In my summer yards, ants get the mites quickly.

According to research by Jeff Pettis, mites 2" below the hive have
little chance of returning.

Varroa are sensitive to heat.  Perhaps they cook on the hot
ground--I'll have to check.

It would be a good experiment to paint a bunch of mites with
fluorescent paint, and shake them around a hive.  Then check combs
later to see if any found their way in.  I'll put it on my list!

Randy Oliver