Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:57:58 -0400
7bit
From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
I did a lot of research for an article on "Telling the bees." It was
published in Bee Culture a couple of years ago. For those unfortunate enough
to have missed  it, I've excerpted a couple of paragraphs. I think it fits
here. Mail me off-list if you want more of it.

warned that one of his children would slay him. Being no fool, he proceeded
in what must be the apex of tough love, to eat his children as they were
born. After about the fourth time this happened, his wife, also no fool,
chose to do something about it. She took the next child, a male, and hid him
in a cave. Titans were left to guard him. Nymphs were there to care for the
babe. The bees were there to feed him on honey. Since these stories are
based mainly on gossip, they vary a little. Some say the bees morphed into
the nymphs. If you'll remember, a nymph is a stage of insect development.
Coincidence? I don't think so!

When the baby cried, the guards would clash their armor so that old Kronos
wouldn't hear him. I can't help but connect this with the custom of later
folks banging pots and pans to call the bees. In any case, the plan worked.
The child grew up to be Zeus. He put an end to the disgusting eating habits
of old Kronos and became the big cheese god himself. The bees found their
place in history. Caves in the mountains were thought to be entrances to the
underworld. Since bees lived in those caves they got the reputation of being
messengers to that world. It didn't hurt their status at all that they had
nurtured a god.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Dick Marron