ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marc Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:42:45 -0500

I had sent this just to Phil, but here is the whole post:

The radiation experienced en-route to Mars would be high, but not
lethal. Greater long-term radiation exposure would result from spending
long periods in high Earth orbit and repeatedly passing through the
particle-channeling parts of the Earth's magnetic field, the Van Allen
or Vernov belts (If you've never heard of Vernov, look him up; a great
object lesson in the value of keeping science international and open.)
Details about that here:
http://www.aero.org/publications/crosslink/summer2003/02.html

The problem is "eruptions" from the Sun, such as coronal mass ejections.
CMEs last a few days and could probably be weathered in the space
equivalent of a tornado shelter. Rather than build a specialized
lead-lined room or shield the entire vessel, one idea is to use supplies
(like water) as part of the shielding material.

There is no one insurmountable technological hurdle to sending people to
Mars. It's just (after you ge the cash together) making system A more
efficient, system B cheaper, system C more reliable. There are some
designs which have to be built and tested (could we really rotate a ship
at the end of a long tether to generate a semblance of gravity?) But
major worries center around keeping people sane and healthy if they are
cut off from Earth for more than two years. Radiation protection is not
hard compared to bone loss, muscle atrophy, and isolation.

Here is a NASA document from 2001 which shows that we've been thinking
about this for a long time.
http://hedsadvprograms.nasa.gov/spaceexploration.html#placeswecouldgo

Going to Jupiter, of course... that's another story.

And BTW, while I think nuclear power is great for running space
missions, it's not a good idea to put into large-scale use on the
surface of the Earth. Space is unsafe, but that's only likely to affect
those on a mission. Nuclear waste is another story. And, yes... I say
that as someone whose computer and apartment are largely run by a
nuclear power plant ten miles away.

Marc Taylor
Coordinator, Andrus Planetarium
Hudson River Museum