From:
Jerry Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 20:54:21 EDT
>So IMO,  the excuse that it would ‘cost a commercial beekeeper  money to
breed a bee not dependant on >treatments’ is perhaps more suggestive  of a failed
business model than it is affordability.
I don't have much confidence you will see this happen until the  current
system totally fails and the large commercial pollinators/honey  producers that
truck their bees all over go out of business.  The  importation of the latest
bee disease/pest from elsewhere in the world into  stressed out colonies moved
for pollination or honey production is causing huge  commercial hive loss and
also manages to export the newest disease into  local bee stocks at the same
time.  These guys are losing millions of  dollars of hives(probably exceeds $50
million easily), but I don't expect  much of anything will be done on a
federal/state level until they are willing to  submit to and demand some reasonable
regulation regarding hive movement, disease  inspections, etc.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.