From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 08:46:50 -0500
>Maybe I missed this, has anyone heard about spraying fumidil on the bees to
get more bag for the buck. I was told the Canadians are using this method.

Part of the beekeeping problems today come from beekeepers not following
label. Besides being a waste of money the way you get the most bang for your
buck this time of year for winter nosema control is to feed the fumidil in
TWO gallons of syrup so the bees winter over the solution. EXACTLY AS TOLD
ON THE FUMIDIL LABEL.

 Not as important in the south but very important going into northern
winter.

Why when I get calls from my area beekeepers worried sick over the fumidil
backorder I say that its really a bit early to feed the solution in the
lower Midwest (90F. todays & tomorrow). Relax you have got time yet.

As for spraying I might remind the list that the small amount of fumidil
sent in syrup with packages has not proven to clear a 4 pound package of
nosema (IF they have got a nosema problem in the hive they left).

A shelf full of products not applied correctly is a waste of time and money.

" Do it once and do it right!"

Trying to save money on meds can be expensive.(voice of experience from when
I was young and foolish and listened to the so called wiser beekeepers!)

Choose your mentors carefully!

 I have found no other way to clear a hive of severe nosema than fumidil! I
get asked a hundred times a year for another solution due to fumidil
expense. There are things you can do which many claim help prevent nosema
but once nosema is throughout a yard fumidil has proven to be the solution
for me.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--