From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 17:55:41 -0400
I have posted this before: the bees in my area (midatlantic coast, US) no longer work the tulip poplar tree for nectar. This known fact also appeared in Bee Culture in the letters to the editor. There was no response. I have since asked a certified arborist, a forest ranger, a member of the forest service, a biologist from the local college and numerous other beekeepers and friends. The response I get is that they have no idea and hardly know what I am talking about. I guess it is only a few beekeepers that care.

Now I find that we can add another tree to the list. That would be the black locust. This might not be so bad, but these were two of the best nectar sources in this area. Now the honey production is down. I would venture to guess that there are other trees and plants that also have stopped producing nectar. I can only assume that it is the climate change (warming) that is the cause. I just can't figure out why there is no flow to the flowers of these two trees.

Any guesses?

Bill Bartlett

Valley Lee, Maryland