From:
Allan Kohrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:27:25 -0700
Ernest Robles:

> Robert Conrad of WCLV fame said that Ormandy greatly respected Szell
> and considered him a friend.  It was Ormandy who conducted the Cleveland
> Orchestra in a commemorative concert after Szell's death - Beethoven
> 9th, I think.  Conrad's comments were in connection with a rebroadcast
> of that concert some years ago.

The reason Szell did not record much with Columbia until the mid-sixties
was not because of Ormandy's emnity, but because Columbia already was
recording Bernstein and Ormandy, both of whom sold well.  They put Szell
on Epic and limited what he could record.  Naturally he was infuriated;
he knew very well that he was a much superior conductor.

Allan Kohrman
Newton, MA