From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:07:25 -0700
Jon Gallant wrote:

>Could it be that radio is the source of our seemingly retrograde musical
>culture?  If it is not the source, but rather a reflection, then what
>is it reflecting?  The concert-going public is already, it seems to me,
>far ahead of the audience that commercial radio thinks it must pander
>to.

I believe "classical" radio, with some exceptions, is part of the problem.

I am always reminded of the stories about audiences complaining when
anything different is played.  It seems to me that if there are empty
seats, what does one lose with a few more empty seats...seats which might
be filled by those who would prefer some variety.

However, a most significant part of the equation is good marketing.
Here in Austin, classical music is not given much space in the local
paper, even though our symphony and opera spend substantial sums for

Karl