From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 19:14:39 -0700
>  Is his problem CCD? Myself , the owner of Bell Hill Honey and his employee
>  plus the beekeeper feel the two dead hives fit  the description. Also fits
>  the
>  description I hear from commercial beeks claiming CCD and what I observe
>  looking at their hives.

Well, Bob, it looks like you finally found the CCD that you were looking for!
Sounds typical of what I and others are seeing.
Doesn't need any association with chemicals, and likely little with
mites or nosema (although both of those cause a lot of collapses,
also).

I agree with Dr Mussen on the pathogen issue.  I strongly suspect
virus, and am having samples tested.

Here is a test that you can do:  take the remaining sick bees, blend
them in a grinder with some water, then spray the solution over pounds
of shook bees and introduce them into colonies.  See if they get sick.
 Note that some colonies will have innate resistance to some viruses,
so best to test at least 100 colonies.

We are all eager to hear the results!  Should answer some questions
that have been recurring on this List.

Randy Oliver
Grafting from survivors