Condense Mail Headers

From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:16:02 -0500
--- Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Have there been any good scientific studies of small
> cell recently?

Hi Bill,

Not sure, haven’t kept up on that lately.

Unfortunately, small cell is being held up on a pedestal
as a ’cure all’, when it simply is NOT the case.
From my half decent success in keeping bees without
the use of treatments, I see it as a currency, contributing
to success, the same as hygienic behavior, grooming,
good management and resistance to AFB would all contribute
to success BUT by itself is not the ‘cause’ of success.

> Also, are there any small cell queen suppliers (just
> curious). I would think that there would be a
> market,

There are a few, and there is a GREAT demand for
queens raised from small cell colonies.  BUT I have
to say, it is discouraging to see beekeepers choose
queen breeders based solely on weather they are small cell.
Selection of the best bred stock, and locally adapted,
treatment free stock should perhaps take precedent,
with small cell somewhere further down the list.

Last season, I placed an add on bee source stating that I ‘may’
be having small cell feral queens for sale, it prompted
a flood of inquiries for orders without any further
questioning, which surprised me somewhat.  But as it
turned out, this queen biz ain’t for me, having decided
to say with providing bees & queens locally instead.

Best Wishes,
Joe

Published in Decatur, Ill  year 1876-
‘A naturalist asks: "Do bees hear?'
We don't think they do. At any rate
when a man is chased by a bee across a
ten-acre field, and at the top of his
voice urges his pursuer to "shoo, there!
the insect pays no attention what ever
to his remarks.’