Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:51:47 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (49 lines)
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:59:47 -0500, Peter L. Borst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>www.sciencemag.org

>> Anderson and East suggest that CCD is an ambiguous disorder consistent with normal winter 
losses. We do not agree. CCD is characterized by a rapid loss of adult bees; excess brood, in all 
stages, 

here in the heartland of US beekeeping, both Mn and Nodak state apiarist's issued reports in fall 
of 2007 stating no CCD verified here. but nobody ever updated that CCD map,  its still colored out 
the last time I looked for MN and Nodak.  how's that for ambiguous?  

in these northern states most migratory beeks leave and go south or to CA. so anyone with CCD 
claims from these states in winter/spring would have to be stationary right?  

my guess is when the wrappings come off this spring of 2008 after 4 months of REAL winter with 
little snow up here but 21 evenings below zero so far and lots of wind, that the "apparent"  CCD 
reports will start up all over again in the local media up here  and all over the northern regions.  

now how could that be? ...did maybe numerous beekeepers wrap  hives last fall that had no 
worker population or what?  or maybe the worker bees all left the hive in subzero weather? so 
we're saying that the worker bees vacated a broodless hive in winter and in spring they had brood 
and a queen left with a few workers. 

ok

to me this just blows the whole idea of  CCD affecting stationary beeks in the NORTH during dec-
march . either they had a loss in fall and then either left the state or wrapped what's left. all spring 
reports of CCD then in  northern states are suspect and likely not diagnosed correctly. 

the realistic  CCD reports I've seen in ABJ, BC, etc and described online have never suggested that 
this phenomenon occurs in subfreezing winter conditions. 

so in my mind any NORTHERN STATIONARY beeks claims of CCD between Dec 1st and say mid 
March would appear potentially bogus to me.

my theory is that this "noise" from northern stationary beeks has made the whole CCD issue that 
much more confusing to the public, other  beekeepers and perhaps researchers

(my thoughts do not insinuate that CCD has not been a crisis to the beekeepers who have really 
experienced a loss from this malady or other unexplained losses, I'm merely reflecting on the 
difficulty its been to try and even figure out  how widespread CCD actually is)

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2