Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:06:14 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I don't want to give the impression I'm "dumping" on reporters.  But having talked to reporters who asked a million questions, some totally ignorant, irrelevant and off-topic, wrote copious notes in rapid, scribbling fashion, then turned out an article on some tangential angle of minute importance that got shoe-horned into our conversation, I'm a little chagrined.  I try and work with my local reporters.

Most of the time they come to me because they "heard" some fanscinating story about a single-hive beekeeper in Grover's Corner who walked naked in the bee yard and didn't get stung.  I think the fault may lie with me as I happen to mention some other interesting bee fact or attempt to clarify some misconception.  Then the reporters become totally enamored with these quizzicle little creatures that the questions come like machine-gun fire.  Sometimes they actually stop and listen to my answer before they start formulating the next question.  But mostly they are too busy scribbling.

It must be a fascinating job, but if you don't know anything about bees (or whatever), the amount of information has to be overwhelming.  Most don't know to sort the wheat from the chaff.  And editors seem to cut paragraphs irrespective of importance in the name of space.  I now ask to preview the article before it goes to the editor to make sure I don't come off looking like some lunatic.  And with e-mail, this has become much easier.

Grant
  Jackon, MO

---------------------------------
Looking for last minute shopping deals?  Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2