From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:43:49 -0800
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>But what if some orchestra asked us: what underplayed works would YOU
>like to hear at your nearest symphony orchestra?

For me, any concert which does not featured one unrecorded work is a
lost opportunity.

As to my choices...my list would be long...not only those works that
haven't been performed in many years, but those that have never been
performed.  There are unperformed symphonies, by Sowerby, EB Hill,
Muczynski, Lees, et al.  Then there are those works that haven't been
done in the memory of anyone living...composers like Lopatnikoff, Converse,
Gruenberg, Mason, Hadley, John J. Becker, Foote, Whithorne, etc.  (it
is a very long list) all have works that would fall into that category.
For that matter I have never even heard a Piston Symphony done live...And
those are just a few of the Americans.  It would be relatively easy to
program an entire 26 week season of concerts and cover all of the historic
periods and still not play any "standard" literature.

Thank God for recordings!

Karl