ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allan Ayres <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:37:42 -0700

We have a pretty nice one that I helped prototype and design for our
Forces That Shape the Bay exhibit.  Ours uses abrasives/sandblasting
materials, an idea we borrowed from a sedimentation tube at the
Smithsonian that some of us saw at one point.

The contents are silicon carbide, garnet, and glass beads (in
water).  Unfortunately I don't have complete specs on all three
materials.  The SiC was a free sample that our administrative
assistant sweet-talked out of a local abrasives company; the garnet
is 220-HPX; and the glass beads were the "fine" glass beads that we
use in our bead blaster (from McMaster or Grainger or some such place).

We put the SiC and garnet through a stack of sieves and tried many,
many combinations of different particle sizes of each of the three
materials (we didn't seive the glass beads, as they were pretty
monodisperse to begin with).  The 19th sample apparently worked
pretty well, as that's where my notes stop.  :-)

One crucial step was rinsing (and rinsing, and rinsing, and rinsing)
the garnet to get rid of the dust and other fine particles.

The tube itself is a tempered glass tube with Teflon end caps held on
with six stainless steel rods around the circumference.  It's mounted
to a shaft at its center and it has knobs on each end so that
visitors can rotate it back and forth to stir up the contents and
then leave it in a vertical (or oblique) postion to watch the
settlement.  We have one of our patented eddy-current dampers on the
back of the shaft to keep the thing from spinning out of control.

It has held up nicely outside for the past five years and it works
quite well.  The only thing about it is that the contents tend to get
compacted together if the tube sits in one position for a long time,
so you have to do some pretty vigorous shaking and stirring if you're
the first person to use it for a while.

On Aug 18, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Mike Levad wrote:

> Hey Everybody,
>
> We are building a sediment model which consists of a tube with a
> clear fluid
> in it and different sized particles. When you turn it over the
> bigger stuff
> hits the bottom first and the little stuff stays on top.  I have
> seen this
> in a few different places.  Is anybody willing to share what works
> best for
> the clear fluid and the sediment particles?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Allan Ayres
Exhibit Developer