HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Burgess, Laurie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:11:06 -0500
This may be a little far afield, in terms of opium bottles, but we have
a number of opium pipes in our collection, some of which were collected
in the U.S. during the nineteenth century, apparently from
Chinese-American communities.

Information on them is available on our searchable online database
(http://anthropology.si.edu/archives_collections.html ).  Some of the
entries have a thumbnail of the Smithsonian catalogue card under the
heading "multimedia", and if you click on it you can view the actual
card.  A couple of the cards refer to the "poisonous smoke" of the
pipes.

In general, when using information from the cards, it's good to keep in
mind that some of these cards were created many, many years ago.

In hindsight, I should have thought to send an announcement to the list
when the database went live last year.  Eventually we hope to link the
entries to images of the object, and are making good progress in
photographing the collections, but with 2.3  million archaeology objects
and over 200,000 ethnology objects it's going to take a while.

For a different take on opium use, Kelly might want to track down John
Balaban's poem, "The Opium Pillow" in his anthology titled Blue
Mountain.  It's set in Vietnam but provides a look at opium use through
a different lens entirely.  (I can't pass up an opportunity to sneak
poetry into archaeology, even if it's a tenuous link).

Laurie Burgess

Laurie E. Burgess
Associate Chair
Department of Anthropology