From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:20:26 EST
-----  Bob

I've recovered enough from two runs on double  pneumonia to rise to the
bait.
You've said many things about the CCD  team, and most recently:

"I have looked at a large number of the hives  from the CCD survey.
Certainly
a higher number than were sampled by  the CCD team."

Ok, FYI, just because one individual or group from the  'CCD Team'
says/publishes something, does not mean that represents the  views of the
'Team'.  The
'Team' per se has not issued a joint  report since last  spring.  If you
disagree with findings of  individual members, reference  whose findings you
wish to
refute.

I don't know about the other members of the CCD team, but  we've (Bee
Alert/Univ. MT) sampled bee colonies at over 60  widely  spaced locations
across the
U.S., plus we've received samples  from many  more.  Just this last month, we
sampled 700 colonies in  CA.  Not  just looked at, sampled.  And, we've
looked at
many  more  locations.  In a given day, we often sample some, look at many
more  beeyards.   Why not sample all?  We just don't  have the resources  to
process all of the samples that we could  take.

I'm sorry, but if you read the PSU chemical report and listened to  our own
presentations, you will find that like Jeff Pettis, we don't  see any pattern

pointing to the neonicotinics.  And traces of  pesticides are always found
in
bees.  Which ones show up in high  levels depends on the area and  decade.
Our
data over the past 30  years shows shifts from the DDT  organics, to the
carbamates and  organophosphates, with the neonicotinics adding  another
category
over  the past 10 years.  Big kills in the west over recent  years have
often been
from Furidan and Sevin.

Do pesticides kill  bees -  certainly.  But its on a case by case,  site by
site basis.   In the west, you'll find large beekeepers in TX, AZ,  CA who
pulled
bees back away from crops this year, placed them at desert  locations  to
reduce exposure to pesticides, and still they lost bees to  CCD over  past
few
weeks.   And the Canadians aren't reporting   widespread CCD on canola, with
huge
tracts of this crop treated with   neonicotinics.

Ask me if a certain beekeeper with bees on  watermelons, whose bees dropped
in the melons and continued to drop  after being removed, is likely to have
sustained a pesticide kill, I'd  say yes.  Ask me if CCD is caused by
neonicotinics, I'd say  there's no compelling evidence for picking on this
pesticide and
ignoring the others.

However, and unfortunately, one could  make a stronger case for the
chemicals
beekeepers place inside bee  hives to control mites and other pests as  a
causative factor.   For example, mainly in colonies from the east coast,  we
found
a high  frequency of high levels of paradichlorobenzene in the 'air'  inside
the hives - not just in the comb.

Please don't get me wrong -  if someone like Dave Hackenberg has data about
high level of  neonicotinics in his colonies from a given grower (which I'm
told
he has),  then in that case, at that site, I'd take a harder look at the
neonicotinics.  Should beekeepers avoid crops treated with   neonicotinics?
That's a personal choice, and its one that can only be  made  by the
beekeeper who
knows the history/context of the individual  case.

I think a more important issue is that the beekeeper and  grower  need to
discuss what will be used, how much, and when.   Better  awareness that there
are
choices is far more important.   Suggest less toxic  OR chemicals of less
concern (to you, the  individual beekeeper).  For  too many years, beekeepers
have
been  reluctant to advise growers about what  to do, for fear that the grower

would find someone else to pollinate the  crop.  For the safety of  your
bees, you
need to openly discuss this   issue.

Jerry

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)